Steinway questions

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:32:00 -0600

Hi Bill,
          I think we are all playing from the same page, as many new parts
as possible and charge a fair price. However most of the time on verticals
we just re flange and refelt the tails of damper levers. We scrub the
levers with 'Fantastic" and warm water, lightly sand, and they look like
new, swells the birds eye up real nice, so the pins of the new flange fit
nice and snug. Some times we may have to size the odd birds eye with CA.
This action has had a wood butcher running loose in every direction, some
of the damper wires have more bends than the Donner Pass. Who ever it was
installed new damper felt and got themselves in a whole lot of trouble.
Thank's for your help
Regards Roger

At 12:08 PM 06/07/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Roger:
>
>Ditto just about all of what Newton said, of course, with certain emphasis:
>Install hammers/shanks AFTER dampers are installed and regulated.  All the
>more important with the sostenuto type action (which still takes forever to
>regulate, and probably must have the damper block screw inserts installed
>also...).

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina