getting serious about methanol

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:42:57 -0500

"lance lafargue" <lafargue@iamerica.net>wrote:

>Ed,
>
>If the stuff from the Pharmacy was PURE, it should do very little,
>especially with no heat.  I wonder if they were just spongy and reacted
>more than usual.  I can see where a less dense felt would have a different
>reaction.  Did you try taking a couple off and easing them by pulling on
>the shank/hammer while rotating back and forth.  Maybe a slightly sluggish
>action just needed to be played/bushings compressed.  (just trying to think
>of some possible reason for your unusual experience)

Lance, not to beat a dead nutria but I think youre missing the point. Pure
alcohol will penetrate and swell the bushing, crushing it against the
c-pin. When it dries, quicker than water, the bushing has been compressed,
like ironing a key bushing. This seems to stablilize the cloth, I treat all
new flanges w/a drop of methanol and let them sit over night before
checking the pinning,  this eliminates any nasty surprises that seem to be
endemic in both Tokiwa and Renner parts, at least in my experience.

--Dave