Gaveau-Paris

Paul Chick tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:27:32 -0500

List:
I just tuned a rosewood 4'10" Gaveau grand from Paris #77879. The owner =
told me it has the "insides made by Bosendorfer and the outside made by =
someone else." The veneer work is exquisite! The top is done in =
quartersawn rosewood in a sunburst pattern of at least 3 dozen matched =
pieces. The rim is done in fans of matched rosewood framed and repeated. =
She had it "rebuilt" by someone she could finally afford "for about =
$800.00." Sad. I don't have all the details, but I feel badly for the =
client. The "refinishing" does not do justice to the beautiful and =
talented work of the case maker. The "insides" were not replaced, just =
cleaned with very little regulating, no voicing-oversize pins and new =
strings. I know I'm off on a tangent here. I'm sorry. It's maddening to =
see what people can be told by "technicians" with a silver tongue. =
Anyway. Does anyone have or had any experience and background on this =
piano? I didn't have time to explore the "insides" but I'm sure I'll see =
it again.
Thanks.
Paul Chick RPT