Burning Shanks

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:40:44 -0700 (MST)

Hi John:

Yes, in my opinion it is OK to lean hammers forward or backward as long as
it is less than 1/16". Otherwise, it is simpler to remove and reglue.
I'm sure that the reason the hammers get out of line is that the shanks have
warped. I can't imagine the hammers were glued out of line in the first
place unless it was done by a sheer novice. It is so easy to glue them on
right if one uses a straight edge. In our Grand Action Rebuilding tape,
George and I demonstrate two different methods for gluing on hammers. I
still prefer the straight edge method, but as you can see in the video, it
doesn't make much difference. However, with the wetting of the glue, the
shanks may warp a bit as the glue dries, so we straighten up the hammers
after the glue is dry by burning (Mildly heating) the shanks and applying
contrary pressure to re-align them.

Jim Coleman, Sr.