The first time?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:11:40 EDT

Avery writes:
>Ah, yes. The "first" piano. Been there, still remember that! :-)

Greetings all,
      Ah, me too.  After 6 months training, Bill Garlick sent me out to an
emergency tuning at a small theater production somewhere in Cambridge. The
opening night curtain was going up in 4 hours and they were still building
stage sets.  I was so green that the shouting, hammers,  and 1/4" drills
weren't even a distraction!
     As I remember it,  I did a pitch raise without knowing it, and the
bottom three or four strings I had to push with my finger to tell if the
tension on them was even remotely like those above...........
(1976, and it was the first $14 I had ever made from piano tuning,  I walked
home a wealthy man, that day!
Regards to all,
Ed Foote
( I may or may not be back online before the convention, but I am certainly
inviting all interested to invest 90 of those valuable minutes in the
historical tuning class, which is going to be another first time for me, and
I certainly hope that those that aren't into it will still introduce
themselves to me.  I got all these names associated with the opinions and
viewpoints from the list, but for the life of me, I have no image of what
anybody here looks like!  Well,  I suppose I have always imagined Newton as
having red hair !(:)}})