First Piano

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:25:16 -0500

My first piano was a 1927 player piano.  I didn't have the slightest clue
what I was doing.  My step dad had gotten it from somewhere in Mississippi
and brought it to California.  One day I got curious to see if I could make
it work, little knowing that I was about to change my life.  I pulled it out
from the wall and proceeded to disassemble the thing.  Within hours I had
reduced the machine into hundreds of parts and soon realized that I was out
of my league.  Living in Southern California at the time I was in driving
distance of Pacific Piano Supply which I found in the Yellow Pages.  Ol' Don
Morton proceeded to sell me all the supplies I would need, the two Reblitz
books, and a heap of pneumatic cloth and tubing.  It took me three months but
I got it playing again!  I even restrung it!!   I became inspired and bought
another old player piano, a 1921 Waltham.  This instrument was in far worse
shape but I bought it anyway so that I could learn by doing "everything".  As
time went on and I worked on more pianos I started to understand more about
what I was doing.  I even rebuilt a 1929 Tangley circus calliope.  An
apprenticeship followed when I was receiving my undergraduate degree and then
I went through the Western Iowa Tech program.  Here I am!!

Rob Goodale, RPT