Kranich & Bach

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:11:43 EDT

In a message dated 7/16/99 3:51:35 AM !!!First Boot!!!, adarpub@midrivers.com
writes:

<< A customer just obtained #14616 (about 1882) Kranich & Bach upright and is
 wondering about its value.  The action is unique in comparison to other
 pianos I service.  Would anyone have a good guess as to its value?

 The case is a little beat up, but not bad.

 The worst part of the piano is a badly cracked bass bridge.  The soundboard
 is excellent.

 Surprisingly, after having been stored in a garage for however many years,
 the piano is very close to 440--it will not even need a pitch raise.  The
 pins are nice and tight.

 Some hammers are wobbly.  If butt flanges have to be replaced, will Schaff
 #514 1/2 flanges work?  The hammer butt and damper connect to the same
 flange.  Any tips on removing them easily?

 Thanks for any help.

 Arlie

Older uprights, especially those over 100 years old are worth virtually
nothing. Even though the piano is up to pitch, thanks to pianos tuners over
the last 100 years who have kept it there, (and customers who were diligent
enough to keep it in tune), and even the though the soundboard is in good
shape, there are too many other factors involved to make the piano worth more
than a minimum of $100 - $200. As you said, the case is not great, the bass
bridge needs to be replaced and the hammer flanges are starting to wear out.
What's next? The pin block will give out, the treble bridge will deteriorate,
the hammers will need to be replaced, and the damper felts will become hard.
By the time you replace all of those parts, or fix them, you're looking at
buying a 25 year old good quality console or studio, that will last much
longer than the K&B.

I know, I know, you'll never the get the sound of one of those pianos as you
can out of the big uprights. But if it won't stay in tune, and play like a
Mack truck, or a flitting butterfly, is that big sound really worth it?

Willem Blees