new ivory

Tom Dickson td_tuner@hotmail.com
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:34:31 PDT

Hi, Chris!

    I can't vouch for the use of the mammoth ivory on piano keys, though I
have no doubt that the information is correct.

    However, regarding the mammoth ivory - yes, and yes.  They are extinct,
however this is real.  A local artist in our vicinity uses a variety of
ivory, including old piano keys to do scrafitto.  This is an art form that
involves etching designs into the surface and coloring them with a stain.
In a workshop of his that I attended, he showed us various materials he
uses.  One of his sources was a team that was excavating in the Arctic ( I
believe it was for oil ) and they found a part of a mammoth tusk.  He showed
us the tusk, and it was quite large and heavy.

    He planned to slice this tusk for future art projects, so I imagine that
with enough of the material, one could also do keytops.

    Give me a private e-mail if you would like more info on the artist or
his work.

                                                    Sincerely,
                                                    Tom Dickson
                                                    Regina, SK