elusive noise

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:48:38 -0500

No sooner a word to the wise, then an elusive noise stumps me... for  few minutes
longer than it should have taken to SEEN it.   OK I have never come across a walked
out jack pin that rubbed against the neighboring whipen causing a squeak, or I
should say, ONLY a squeak. Didn't contact enough to cause movement, just an elusive
anoying  "squeak".  Like baby mice.  This was an old Howard (upright) that has
pilots instead of abstracts.  Interesting to watch how the pilots travel from side
to side because of a tiny little looseness in the center key bushings so of course
didn't cause the pin to squeak every time. Now THIS I did have to repin.
	The daughter ("I am almost eleven!") was watching and helping out by holding tools
so I gave her the old pin.  "Here's a souviner, but I don't know what you can do
with it", I said. "Oh I will look at it under my microscope.", she said.   Now there
is a future technician.    ric.

PS.  The locking mechanism underneath the lock plate started to buzz right before I
left. Sounded like a picture frame in sympathetic vibration, but I got lucky.
Somehow it sounded extra loud when someone else played the note and I stood away
from the piano.