Regulating Woes

Terry Beckingham beckingt@mb.sympatico.ca
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:20:05 -0500 (CDT)

At 11:25 PM 7/16/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Just kinda thinking out loud here...
>
>1. Are the new hammers bored in the EXACT place as the old?  (e.g. distance
from
>the strike point to the hole).  Although the rest rail could be adjusted for
>proper blow distance a slight change in butt angle via the shank as dictated by
>the bore hole could possibly make a difference.

It is difficult to tell if the hammers are bored exactly the same. The old
hammers were shot and had been heavily filed, so I can only estimate the
distance from the strike point to the hole. The distance from the hole to
the back of the molding is the same.

>2.  Not trying to be obvious here, but lost motion is okay, right?

Yes, I adjusted for lost motion on my samples.

>3. Did you by chance replace the butts when you did the hammers?  You didn't
>mention that you had but if so check for any geometry variations that could
>align things differently.

I used the original butts. I just rebushed/repinned the flanges.

Thanks for your reply.

Terry Beckingham