Help on preparation for the written test

pryan2 pryan22@bellsouth.net
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 20:26:41 -0400

Dear List,

I'm a novice and am preparing to take the written test in K.C. this week.  I have
some doubts about some of the topics that I am expecting on the test and would
appreciate any help or confirmation from list members.

1.  Insufficient key dip may produce a bobbling hammer on the string.  (I say
true)
2.  Upright hammer blocking may be caused by a incorrectly positioned letoff
rail.  (I say true)
3.  In a vertical, backchecks should be regulated to check 5/8 inches from
string. (I say true).
4.  Centerpins should rotate in the bushings.  (I say true)
5.  To check sluggish action in a vertical, one should depress the right pedal.
(True?)  (why?)
6.  Lowering the plate height in a grand will  (increase or decrease) the
downbearing?  (increase?)
7. One of the best substances to lubricate the keybed of a grand is talc. (true?)

8.  The striking point of the hammer on tenor strings is about 1/8 of the string
length.(True)
9.  What is the main purpose of the nose bolt?  (Steady the plate?)
10.  To center the jack in a grand repetition lever, the best way is to bend the
center pin by tapping the jack  with a hammer.  (True)

Thanks for you kind people who take time to check my quiz.  Hope I can buy you a
cup of coffee in K.C.   You'll know me by my big smile after having passed the
test.
My goal is to take the tuning exam next year at the convention.  Does anyone know
where next year's convention is being held?

Sincerely,

Phil Ryan
pryan2@bellsouth.net