Removing grand backcheck wires from keys

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:01:58 -0400

> Should a person attempt to drive out the remaining wires or just drill a new hole and install new ones?

Well...several broken may indicate several more will break.

Is the piano worth a considerable investment on your part?

I have done both, in the field but prefer to install new ones even if
I have to drill a new hole.

If the wires are accessible from the bottom of the rocker I would
prefer to drive out the old and insert new.

If you have an upright action cradle you can get or cut a piece of
wood to support the rocker when driving out the old ones and driving
in the new ones.  This will make the job fast and safe.

Make sure the wires are the same size.  If not you may have to ream
out the hole to a larger size or glue the wires in if they are too
small.

Either way you are looking at a time investment.

		Newton