Convention musings

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:17:53 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/1999 7:58:06 PM, Roger wrote:

<<"Rough voice the
instrument tone quality down and then do  the fine tuning correction.">>

Well golly Roger this is what I said......isn't it?  Dealing with little
pianners with rocks for hammers takes some extraordinary steps sometimes and
this Wurlitzer y'all worked on sounds like it was a good candidate.   From
all the comments I heard about the improvement of the tone on the thingee you
did good...............but I still say "rough" voicing is just that,
"rough"....................

<<"Having said that the very bright old Wurlitzer spinet had more improvement
made to it's *musicality* by voicing than any standard tuning would have
achieved.">>

I don't know how you are using this term but tuning 'only' adresses string
tensions, therefore pitch. Other factors such as voicing, in all of its
various facets, addresses the color or tone of the thingee, be it spinet or
grand.
   Hard hammers excite different partials than do softer hammers but they
don't change the tension on a string. Exciting different partials will give
the apparent effect of changing pitch but this is a perceptual thingee and
not a reality. Is it?? However since we  hear with, and through, perception
and not an oscilloscope we need to adjust strings to our perception of them.

 Ron and I DID come to your class but by the time we got through arguing in
the hallway about who was going to say what and when we would say it, the
class was over......oh well there is always next time :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)