Promoting PTG - Sid Stone style

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:54:32 -0700

List,

We all know how much Sid Stone has done to promote the Guild, but I
think you will nevertheless be astonished at the length at the story I
am about to tell.

I had just boarded my flight to Oakland from the PTG Convention in KC
when I spotted Sid a few rows up.  I swapped places with the fellow in
the next seat so that I could spend the rest of the time swapping
stories with Sid.

Before we got off the ground, a spectacularly beautiful flight attendant
came to us wearing a tie with a piano key design on it and said to Sid,
"Everyone loves this tie, but I'd better give it back to you now."

"Oh, no!" said Sid, "I don't want it any more.  You keep it."  Seems she
had admired it as Sid was boarding, and in the ancient tradition of
Bedouin, Sid had awarded her the object of her desire.

Since I had the aisle seat, I spotted her several times during the
flight talking to passengers, holding the tie for them to see and
pointing back in our direction.  Twice she came back and reported that
everyone loved the tie.  I offered as how it looked better on her than
it did on Sid.  Sid gave her his card and told her that we were
returning from a technicians' convention.  I mentioned that Sid was a
former president.

About a half hour before the end of the flight, she came by again.
Thinking Sid was asleep, she handed me a small package with a thank you
note on it.  Sid caught on and opened it to find every little givaway
the crew had on hand.  The pilot then turned on the PA system and said,
"Ladies and gentlemen, many of you have noticed the tie that Carrie has
been wearing.  It came from passenger Sid Stone, who is Registered Piano
Technician with the Piano Technicians Guild and former president of the
Guild."  Thus did a planeload of passengers come to learn of the Guild
and the RPT credential.

Thank you, Sid, for your tireless service on behalf of the PTG!

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA

P.S.  Sid's 80th birthday is being celebrated this Sunday, Aug. 1.  He
loves old ties, the more the better.  You think I'm kidding?