voicing - was Convention musings

Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:18:52 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Jolly <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 11:47 PM
Subject: Re: voicing - was Convention musings

... and phasing due to hammer angles being
> critical, this area will always  have a certain amount of unevenness
within
> the assembly process.

This notion about the phasing due to hammer angles being critical has come
up before.  The more I think about it, the more I question it.  I've
certainly not found it to be a major factor piano tone -- at least not with
string lengths typical of bass/tenor crossovers.  These strings are so long
that any variation in tone due to the hammer strike point not being in
exactly the same spot on each string is essentially inaudible.

The uneven tone problems through this area are the result of inappropriate
string scaling coupled with deficiencies in the soundboard and rib design.
These issues can be effectively dealt with at the design level -- and
sometimes at the redesign level, as well -- if the manufacturer (or
rebuilder) has the incentive to do so.  Sadly, few seem to feel an
imperative to do so.

> Board design will not completely correct these variables only minimize
them.

If you insist.  However, these variables can be controlled by proper design
to such an extent that any audible variations across the bass/tenor break
can minimized to such an extent that they are detectable only by the most
critical trained ear.  And then only by going across the break area note by
note and carefully listening for the very subtle variations in tone.  Even
then, they will make mistakes and guess wrong from time to time.  (Yes, I
have fooled some very good piano technicians on this)  Scale breaks --
whether they be between wire types or bridges -- can and should be musically
transparent.

> Since string winding tension etc has a large effect on the harmonic
content
> and power, please educate me on how you integrate the bass string
> scaling/design with the Z of the board.

No, I can't.  Been there, done that.  There wasn't much interest in the
subject.  It isn't that simple.  There is a lot of background information
that has to be understood first and that is usually where we loose folks.
Besides, nowadays I prefer getting paid for my design efforts.

> A direct formula will suffice.

Sadly, at this point it is as much an art form as it is a matter of
formulas.  I've no question that if probed at long enough (by folks much
smarter than I) much more of this stuff will be reduced to formulas.  Not
yet, however.

Regards,

Del