voicing - was Convention musings

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:49:53 -0600

Del,
 The bass and other strings that have the hammers angled to the string will
have a different strike point measurement from the termination points of
bridge and agraff/capo bar. This causes to my ear the distortion of the
sound of the unison much like phasing of unlevel strings. As a double bass
player, I long ago discovered that one could divide the string into 1/2
1/3  1/4  segments and play the overtone series ,  but also divide the
string into smaller segments and draw out a diatonic scale of the upper
partials of the string. Moving the finger lightly along the string only a
small fraction of an inch will make the change occur.
With the string line angled one way and the hammers the other will MHO
cause what I believe Roger is referring to especially on bass strings that
are already too short to produce a good sound.
Joe Goss
> From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: voicing - was Convention musings