7/8 & 9/8 keyboards, HT's, plastic parts, plastic soundboards

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:11:37 EDT

Why not?  If the 7/8 keyboard can become an alternative standard, why not the
9/8?  If other temperaments can be used and other materials for
manufacturing, doesn't this all lead to more business for everyone?

Never dwell on the idea that it "can't be done".  Once any of these ideas get
going and accepted, there will be more demand for it.

I say, give the people with small hands or large hands as the case may be, a
keyboard they can work with.  If enough of them reach the elite competition
level, there will be a piano to accommodate them.  One day soon, there will
be a famous artist who plays one of these smaller or larger keyboards.

The beauty of learning other temperaments is that sooner or later, they will
be in demand rather than just a curiosity.  I'm waiting for the day when I
don't hear that tired old excuse, "No artist ever asked for anything but
Equal" anymore.

Kawai has demonstrated that plastic action parts can work and even be
superior to wooden ones.  I have always heard that a synthetic soundboard
just won't work.  I predict we will be hearing about one sometime within the
next ten years.

Bill Bremmer RPT