voicing

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 30 Jul 99 18:52:30 +1000

Hi list,

Things got a bit quiet while the KC convention was in progress, but I see
everybody's back on deck again.

Richard Brekne wrote:

>. . . . . . . I  have not seen a soundboard that has both too little down
bearing and at the same
>time plenty
>of crown.

We have - but only once!

In 1990 we rebuilt a 1925 New York S&S D (which had been 'rebuilt' a few
years earlier). This piano had 8mm of crown in the middle of the
soundboard, while at the same time, the down bearing was effectively zero
(all measurements were taken with the piano strung and at pitch).

Since the bridges were completely split we manufactured new bridges.  The
scale design was completely revised to even out inharmonicity and
percentage of breaking strain (our first application of this technique on
a model D). String lengths were marked out exactly to the calculated
optimum lengths on a template.

The previous 'rebuild' had been undertaken by 'repairing' the bridges
with oversize pins, ie. balance rail guide pins - very nice it looked too
with all those decorative splits!

The original bridge height was 36mm. After setting the new bridge height
for six millimetres of down bearing unstrung at the centre of the long
bridge (ie. at note G35), the new bridge height measured 40mm at this
point. The resultant sustain of this piano was quite outstanding. I have
always suspected that taller bridges contribute to increase sustain time.

>.. I guess I need to be more precise. String deflection at the bridge
>is measured
>before easing off string tension, and then again afterwards. The
>difference gives a
>reading of how much the board rises with tension off. ie. crown. Does this
>jive with
>your meaning of crown ? If not I would like to hear how you check crown.

Exactly Richard! Further to this, we measure sound board crown while the
piano is still at pitch. Placing a straight edge across the piano from
rim rim, a series of measurements are taken measuring down from the
straight edge to the soundboard. The straight edge is moved across the
piano to take readings from all over the sound board. A clear indication
of the contour of the soundboard can be ascertained.

Ron Overs
Sydney

Email: ron@overspianos.com.au
Website: www.overspianos.com.au