voicing

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 07:43:18 -0500 (CDT)

>This has gotta be on cheap pianos.. or what ???

* This one was a Schimmel, If I remember right.

>What I dont do is routinely lower the plate as part of such repairs. If I
run into
>one of the pianoes you mention above I suppose I will have to, but most of the
>time I run into either reasonably ok boards, or ones that are just to far
gone to
>do anything about.

* Ideally, a desire to have a rational reason for doing things a certain way
makes us re-think our procedures and standards once in a while. There's
nothing wrong with lowering plates if that's what is called for. You're
right though, there are folks who do it routinely, and some of them don't
seem to know the difference between bearing and crown, much less the
interaction between the two, and are working strictly from bearing.

>But what I'd like to be able to do is learn more about this buisness of how
>ribbing, soundboard frequency modes, stringing scales and other such
>considerations inter-relate. Until I do I am never going to really get to
do much
>more then "filling cracks" without screwing the piano up. (a bit
overstated, but
>you get my point) Finding written info on this is at best...er.. difficult and
>time consuming. I'd love to take a couple years off and go work for
somebody like
>Del, but well I gots to make a living donts I.. grin.

* Then get to work. Read the Journal articles, and look up the discussions
of concepts in the archives. This is fairly difficult stuff, and it isn't
all available in a one-source encyclopedic format. It's a kit. The video
isn't even in the planning stages yet. At this point, there are still more
questions than there are answers and you'll have to assemble your own
reality, to a great degree, from what is available. The first rule of hang
gliding is "Never fly higher than you're willing to fall". That applies here
too, as it does with any attempt at accumulating education. We can make a
living, or we can chase mysteries. Doing both requires extending our working
day and investing some blood..One way or another, it's expensive. The
rewards include a creeping dissatisfaction with the way things are done, and
the result from having done them that way. When we start turning over the
bigger rocks, a different kind of critter crawls out. I love it, and as long
as I can do it and still eat regularly, I wouldn't have a real job on a bet!

Now I'm in a proper frame of mind for a day's tuning. <G>

 Ron N