Feelings ( slamming backchecks)

Don Mannino donmannino@mediaone.net
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 06:25:31 -0700

Ed,

Yes, I agree with you that this can definitely be felt, and affects the "character" of the action from the pianists' perspective.

A quick test with the action out is to play the note and put the hammer in check, then drive the hammers into the backchecks. If the hammer tail is overly aggressive (very large sharp grooves on a short, small radius curve) and the backcheck angle is too steep, the hammers will not drive down much. Alternatively, if the hammer tail is too straight and smooth, and / or the backcheck angle is too straight, then the hammer will easily drive down past normal checking - this is equally as bad.

I like to have moderate roughness on the tail (as from 40 - 60 grit sandpaper on my sanding disk) with the backcheck angle set so that the above test allows the hammer do go down a little more but not too much - maybe a centimeter down with firm taps until it jams.

Another aspect to good checking in addition to what you mentioned is the springiness of the wire. Dead, bendy wires give poor checking and actually seem to affect the tone of the piano (crazy as that may be).  If the hammer tail / backcheck angle / wire stiffness are all right, the action will repeat best and feel very alive.

You have a sensitive touch!

Don Mannino RPT