Moving an Upright

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 05 Jun 1999 22:02:45 -0700

Pengelly,

I can't recommend the trebuchet - it'll put the piano out of tune
(town?) - but there is something you can do that will allow the piano to
negotiate a tight turn: remove the action and keybed (along with the
case parts). If your stairs are particularly narrow, you might even
remove the bottom board, leaving only sides and back to muscle up the
stairs.

A customer of mine had a similar situation in a small townhouse and, on
his own, did as described above. He and his wife moved the piano to its
new home upstairs and reassambled it before I got there to tune. I
wouldn't have been the wiser had they not told me of their creative
solution.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Tom

--