Hornbeam

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:22:37 -0400

Kind of sounds like resiliency (sp?) is just as much a factor as =
hardness.  Perhaps a shank can be too hard.?

Interesting discussion.

Thanks

Brian Trout
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
    To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Monday, June 07, 1999 12:37 AM
    Subject: Re: Hornbeam
   =20
    Yes, I've read all that as well.  Just one more example of the =
numbers alone not telling the whole story.  Some years back I compared =
maple hammershanks to hornbeam shanks directly, although the tests were =
not exhaustive.  On average, the maple shanks had less bend to them.  I =
did not find that the hornbeam shanks "transmitted energy" any better =
than did maple shanks -- if as well.  The repetition lever stop screw =
(sometimes incorrectly called the "hammer drop" screw) became loose in =
the flange much more quickly in the hornbeam than in the maple.  =
Hornbeam forks (where the centerpin goes through) was also more =
susceptible to impact damage.  The maple shanks were simply "tougher."=20
    There was a greater variation among the maple shanks, however.  In =
fact, I suspected that some of the maple shanks I tested were actually =
made of soft maple, not hard maple as specified.  The manufacturer of =
the maple shanks was not generally noted for its careful quality control =
procedures.=20

    Del=20