Pounders... why?

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 13:15:34 -0700

I was taught to tune with a "firm" blow, incorperating both the tuning blow
and test blow together.  The assumtion here is that you need to strike the
string at least as sharply as the artist will.  The firm tuning blow has
worked for me for many years of concert tuning, as it has for my father.
This doesn't mean that an alternate method wouldn't work - I'm intrigued by
the "double blow" technique.

 I also wonder if we are all talking about the same thing.  My tuning blow
is applied with a device in my hand similar to others referred to here.
This was at first a necessary adjustment that I needed to make as a result
of some sort of inflamation (arthuritic, I think) in my keyboard hand, but I
think the change gave other benefits at the same time, including installing
my SAT switch in my "bonker".  I don't use a lot of effort on the keys when
tuning, but the effect on the string is more than a player could apply.  As
noted, this has it's costs as well.  I find that strings in my concert
instruments will break some treble strings in the sixth octave after  four
or five years of concert and recital use.  But at the same time, the closest
we have come to breaking a string during performance was on the final chord
of a rehersal, so maybe I am weeding out some shaky strings. ;^)

Mark Story, RPT
Eastern Washington University
Mail Stop 100, Cheney WA 99004
mstory@ewu.edu