Key Stiffness (was Re: Hornbeam)

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 19:24:05 +0200

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> <<" A lot of pianists complain about actions being "to stiff". I am wondering
> how one
>  avoids too stiff a feel to the action, while at the same time finding every
>  possible way to make parts so that they are stiffer in effort to transfer
> more
>  energy from finger to string ?
>  Richard Brekne" >>
>
> Richard;
>   Stiff action feel/touch and stiff action parts have very little, if any,
> co-relation.
> Energy stored, as in key flexing, that is not released 'before' the hammers
> hits the string is wasted energy for all intents and purposes, as is energy
> wasted by key twisting from side to side.
> Jim Bryant (FL)

I used to get comments years ago about action regulations I had done being "too
stiff" and in those days I was into pushing all regulation point really tight.
Lost motion for example, as little as was humanly possible, such things. As I
backed off from that the comments dissapeared. The kind of stiffness / lack of
stiffness you and Del describe is an area I obviously need to look into a bit
closer. Learn a bit new every day.. Me Likes..

Richard Brekne