CD Journal

Woodrow, John (Parramatta) John.Woodrow@pil.com.au
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:47:31 +1000

Jim Bryant wrote:
  We currently have a CD-ROM containing all the technical thingees in
the
"Journal Reprints" in the various single subject items covereing such
things
as vertical regulation, hammerhanging, tuning, grand regulation,
dampers,
etc., etc.....
The cost on this CD-ROM is also $100......despite all of the equally
stated
enthusiasm for a CD-ROM of this type to be produced and made
available.....'far less' than 100 have been
sold.......................Since
the production costs of this particular CD-ROM exceeded $40,000 (I think
I am
correct) I can't justify in my mind a similar venture where the costs
will be
even higher....at least I haven't been able to yet, and I have seen no
convincing discussion to alter my point of view.

Jim,
I think there is a difference, and are not that surprised that the
"Journal Reprints" haven't sold that well.  I have all the "Journal
Reprints" in book form and actually believe that is the best medium for
the well selected material on the particular subjects.  There are 10?
books already bound by subject and they sit nicely in my reference
library.  I can read then anytime, e.g.,. when waiting for the kids at
swimming lessons, and run a highlighter through the key points.  I
actually wouldn't recommend CD- ROM for these publications.

A 20 year history of the Journal is a different matter.  I would never
sit down and read 20 years of back issues of the Journal.  However, the
Journal Reprints, PACE, current Journal etc. etc. continuously refer to
"see Article XYZ in the such and such month/year Journal".  As a more
recent IC member I do not have these back issues.  I would not hesitate
to purchase a CD ROM of the back issues of the Journal history for using
as (1) a research tool, and (2) a source for retrieving specific
articles.

I would be a definite buyer.

Best Regards,
John Woodrow