?extra concert maintance&string?

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:00:48 -0500 (CDT)

> Good point. That brings up a question as to where you will find the most
>bridge pin grooving.............on a piano that gets tuned every three years
>whether it needs it or not, including all the subsequent pitch raises,
>etc....... or on a piano that stays at the same pitch and being tuned 6/8
>times a month or more? I suppose the same question holds for agraffes and
>capos also.
>
> I don't know the answer because I suppose it would depend on what causes the
>'grooves', of whatever shape, string rendering or string vibrations? maybe a
>little of each? Thoughts?
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Oh yes, I have lots of (arguably random) thoughts. Whether they connect with
reality or not will probably be the ultimate question, but I'll give it a shot.

My call is that the agraffe and v-bar damage (averaging iron hardness) is
related mostly to the intensity, both in hours and enthusiasm, of play,
whereas the bridge pin damage is related to both the intensity of play, and
the number and severity of humidity cycles the piano has been through since
the pins were new. I don't see the frequency (no pun, that's the other
thread) or the total number of tunings having a lot to do with either
problem. I think the total height of the bridge pin groove is related to the
number and severity of humidity swings as the shrinking/swelling bridge
carries the string up/down the pin as the bridge top cumulatively crushes
under the string. The scrub tracks in the front bridge pins are deeper than
those in the back ones (check it out), so I would blame the depth on the
intensity of play.

That's, simplistically, my version of this local reality. If anyone's got
anything more rational, I'd love to hear it.

 Ron