The Missing Sock

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 08:05:25 -0400

The wear marks are from fingernails constantly hitting the fallboard.
This chipping action must be on releasing the finger from the key
because the player would change their playing style if their fingers were
hanging-up on the fallboard.

One restaurant owner asked if a beaver had gotten to it from the severity
of the gouging. So with these deep troughs, I know the flick is happening
on release; otherwise there would definitely be finger-catching/broken nails/
deeper routing.

They are looking into replacing the piano and I would consider a thin sheet
of glass epoxied to the fall board to eliminate this wear. A Plexiglas sheet
would protect as well and replaced regularly, these are available through
one or two suppliers as protection in showrooms. Practice safe playing.

Regards,

Jon Page

PS  The sock stole the buttons and is doing well on a secluded island.

At 01:39 AM 6/12/99 -0500, you wrote:

> Thought for the day:
>
> Have you ever put exactly ten pairs of socks into a clothes drier but pulled
> out only 19 when they were dry?  One of those unexplained mysteries in life
> that has no answer.
>
> I was talking with a client who was wondering why grand pianos sometimes
> develop wear marks on the fall board above the keys.  Admittedly I had no
> definitive answer.  I'm sure you have all notice this, particularly above
the
> sharps.  Sometimes the wear can be so bad that it can extends well into the
> wood.  But then you have to stop and wonder how they got there.  For
> technical reasons you do not play the piano that close to the fall board.
 In

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net