Key repair

Larry J. Messerly prescottpiano@juno.com
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:52:05 -0700

I just performed a service call on an upright piano that had been
"rebuilt" by one of our local butchers.  Poor regulation, un-even key
level, bad hammer shaping, key rebushing by replacing one or two here or
there as the mood moved him and a butcher's job of recovering keys.
(Although a real butcher probably could have done a better job of it.)

Now to the subject of my post.  Rebuilding the sides of keys that over
the years or though poor recovering.

I don't think that I've seen anyting on this in the Journal.  I have
suggested it as a class at our Arizona State PTG Seminar (which is
usually the first weekend in January).   I don't think that there is
anyone in our chapter profecient in this skill.

Anyone out there care to share on this topic?

Larry Messerly RPT
Phoenix/Prescott
A Real "Bald-one"