Frequency accuracy?

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:58:14 -0400

Robert Scott wrote:

> Frank,
>
>   I did not mean to imply that RCT's were not properly calibrated.
> Even though the separate quartz tone source supplied with the RCT
> is inexpensive, it may still be very accurate. (After all, providing
> a single accurate tone reference is the only job it has to do!)
> I only raised the issue in order to highlight where the accuracy was
> coming from.  It cannot come from anything within a PC because the
> makers of PCs and soundcards do not take the trouble to ensure that
> any of their clocks have absolute accuracies better than 2 cents.
> Any tuning program running in a general-purpose PC must be calibrated
> at some time in their life to an external reference.  PC tuning
> programs do work off an internal clock in the computer, but only after
> the program has taken into account the calibration error of that
> internal clock.
>
> Frank Cahill wrote:
>
> >...I find that very interesting.  If you are correct, there could
> >be alot of RCTs that are not properly calibrated.  I assumed that the
> >RCT worked off an internal clock in the computer.
>
> -Bob Scott
>  Ann Arbor, Michigan

I stand informed!! Yes, the external device should do a good job if it
has been properly calibrated against a good source.

What's most impressive about this device is that Dean, while once an
engineering student, was never an engineer.  Quite a job he's done.

Now if I could just figure out how he found the time to design this
thing.  I'm having a heckof a time finding time to tune, write technical
manuals, take care of a 9 yr old daughter AND....find time to practice
aural tuning.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild