vertical dampers

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:22:00 -0400

Brenda, if the dampers are actually leaking (ringing on), it's not normal.
Conversely, if the condition could be described as a ghosting or
after-ring, then, in your words, it's "common for the model".

The test(s):
1. In normal playing, the phenomenon is not noticed, or not objectionably so.
2. With damper pedal off, a chord is struck with medium force in a staccato
fashion. Ghosting is typically heard using this method.

Many uprights exhibit this same characteristic, regardless of age or
condition of damper system. In some circles, the ringing phenomenon has
actually been used as a gauge as to the quality of the piano -- the more
after-ring, the better! While I don't subscribe to this thinking, I do
tolerate the condition.

The ideal place to stop string deflection is where it starts, i.e., at or
opposite the hammer. This ideal spot can be (more) easily done on a grand,
but is a mechanical improbability on verticals. Therefore, it's reasonable
to say that -any- vertical damping system is working at a disadvantage, and
generally, the larger the instrument, the greater the tendency. The UST
series packs a lot of punch into a 45" box, so this tends to exaggerate the
ghosting effect.

I don't recall an instance of ghosting, per se, being worse with corner
placement, but have often had to deal with assorted complaints in homes
with vaulted or coved ceilings, hardwood floors, and other placement
situations. Suffice to say, a piano makes more assorted (and non-musical)
sounds than we typically hear. Fortunately, many of the extraneous sounds
are killed off by surroundings. Others are drowned out by the music itself,
or the player/listener tunes them out. The remaining ones... well, that's
where we come in.

Finally, a couple of Harvey-style observations fer 'ya:
-- Dampers are dynamic, not digital.
-- The softer the damper felt, the better the damping -- at the expense of
longevity, and vice-versa.

Jim Harvey
... who finally lived long enough to get his 25-year PTG pin -- in the mail
-- a real non-event.
[No, he's not back]