Method of removing grand backcheck wires.

Nancy McMillan nlm@csu.cted.net
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 07:27:55 -0500

Re: Grand TouchRemoving grand backcheck wires by the method of locking =
small vise grips onto the wire then pulling the wire out with an upright =
hammer head/butt extractor always seemed awkward to me.  I hit upon a =
much simpler method that takes about 20 minutes to remove a complete set =
of wires with the backchecks still on the wires, and the keys still on =
the frame.

The procedure is as follows:

First remove the action stack and position the key frame on the bench so =
the backchecks are closest to you.  Starting at on end, place your free =
hand on the balance rail section of the key to prevent it from riding =
up, then, using a pair of end-cutting nippers ( I use Craftsman 7" =
#45326), grab the wire at the base where it protrudes from the key.  =
Nipper should be vertical with jaws resting on key.  Roll the nipper =
towards you about 1/2" (in direction of the angle of the backcheck =
wire).  Then position the nippers to the starting point and repeat.  It =
takes about 8 to 10 slight rolls to remove the wire.  This method =
doesn't require a lot of force.  The cam action of the jaws and the =
leverage of the 7" tool are doing all the work.  This is a gentle =
rolling motion, so there shouldn't be any undue pressure on the key =
around the wire or the balance rail hole.

Have fun.

Doug Mahard, Associate