A new technique for easing tight tuning pins

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 16:38:05 -0600

> The problem: Tuning pins that are too tight and squeak and pop
> during tuning.  The result of course is an exceptionally
> difficult and unstable tuning.

> After getting the device good and hot I proceeded to heat the
> tight experimental pin.  After about four minutes I removed the
> heater and attempted to turn the pin.

> Okay, admittedly it takes a while to do an entire piano.  But the
> method does work and the piano does not have to be repined.

> The pin heater that I built is rather crude to say the least.  It
> does get very hot, (I will have to confirm the wattage).

> Rob Goodale, RPT
> Las Vegas, NV

Rob,  do you think those cheap 25 watt soldering pencils with the set-screw
anchored tip would get hot enough?  You could drill out the end (tip
removed) so it would just fit over the pin.  Let's see...if you had 6
irons...into 240 pins...times 4 minutes per pin.  That's uh...er...2 hours
and 40 minutes to do the entire piano?  Not totally out of line if the
results are as predictable as you say!

Good going!  You may take the rest of the day off!

Regards,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician