juicing/ related

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 22:54:27 -0500

Farrell wrote:

> What are you doing with water-based-laquer? Are you applying it to hammers
> to "Laquer" them?

	Terry,
	My only formal training with hardening or juicing hammers was from on
older Steinway tech who used spirit laquer and cut it with laquer
thinner in varying strengths - very little laquer - 1 part in 16 to 20
of thinner.
	I do the same thing with the water based laquer. Water is a viable
means to cut it. Simply mix the two so the thinned laquer penetrates
more deeply instead of making the surface hard as a rock. The usual
method is to work up the shoulders. I usually wait overnight to see what
has happened, but I've had success in situations where the piano was
performed on after several hours - nothing major, just a couple of dull
hammers to be brightened.
	Be sure to read Susan Kline's response to my first post on this
subject. I'll have to become more familiar with shellac.
	Dan J in Wmbg VA