Trimming

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 23:52:21 -0500

>There! You've scared 'em again!!!  Hardly a message has passed this way
>since your 5 p.m. post. It just ain't worth stayin' up for anymore.
>
>John in Oakville

Nonsense, John! That wasn't a bit scary. No big words, no weird technical
"observations", no obtuse references, no veiled hints of possible
implications, no creeping subliminal guilt or doubts, no dumb puns or
unnecessary games or levity, and no intentional abuse whatsoever. Just a
plaine olde straight forward harmless request to not get lazy about casual
replies. It's awfully easy to just hit "reply" and send the last seven
levels of conversation back, yet again, through the server(s) to 300+
subscribers. That's, total, maybe nine megs of stuff that everyone's
already seen go through from one to seven times. It's a level of redundancy
even the government would balk at, and uses up valuable disk space that
might otherwise be used for more self indulgent things like Space Moose
jpegs, or ice cream recipes. How's that for perspective? Consider my post
the equivalent of the weekly reminder for the on line chat. That's all it
is - a reminder. If that scared them off, they need to eat more protein,
because facing a surprise Poole spinet first thing in the morning is a lot
more frightening to me. This, however, is terrifying....

I wish you could have seen that. I think I even scared myself. Good thing
there aren't any mirrors in here.

Ron N