freedom from the wire

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 23:36:23 -0700

Rob:
    I did everything you did, exactly.  I also spent a lot of money,
looked at all the options, tried putting the receiver inside the SAT,
etc.  I also found the Radio Shack doorbell unit perfect for the
purpose, wired into it, disabled the chime, etc.  I mounted the doorbell
unit on a small piece of plexiglas along with the original foot switch.
There are two contacts on the back of the unit that you can attach wires
to.  I mounted the receiver on another piece of plexiglas next to the
SAT.  The larger "footprint" of the plexiglass helps stabilize the SAT
on plate struts which are too far apart.
    It works well, and battery life is long.  I made a few units I
intended to sell.  Put an ad in the Journal even.  No interest, no
sales.  Maybe my price was too high, but it wasn't worth it to sell them
for less.  I dropped the idea.  Still have a few lying around.  I'd let
them go for $25. each, including the plexiglass, receiver and
transmitter.  I paid about $30.00 just for the doorbell units.  You do
the soldering on your switch.
    I guess great minds DO run in the same direction!
    Paul McCloud