job opening

Allen.Wright@oberlin.edu Allen.Wright@oberlin.edu
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:36:42 -0400

Dear piano techs: I'm sending this out again in case some folks were on
vacation the last time I posted this. This opening is for the second
position (of three fulltime tech positions here), and an excellent
opportunity for the right person, properly qualified (see below) and
interested in institutional work. Please feel free to call me with any
questions you might have about it. This was my job for the last nine years,
so I can certainly give some insight into it.

sincerely,

Allen Wright
Director of Piano Technology
Oberlin Conservatory of Music    440-775-8275

Visit Oberlin College on the World Wide Web at www.oberlin.edu/~HR

PIANO TECHNICIAN

The Office of the Associate Dean for Technology and Facilities invites
applications for the position of Piano Technician  in the Oberlin College
Conservatory of Music.  This is a full-time, 12-month Administrative and
Professional Staff appointment reporting to the Director of Piano
Technology.

The Oberlin Conservatory is America¹s oldest school dedicated to the
training of professional musicians.  Founded in 1865, it was the first
college-affiliated conservatory in the United States, and is
internationally recognized as one of the nation¹s finest music schools.  As
the only major music school in the country specializing in the education of
musicians at the undergraduate level, the Oberlin Conservatory is known for
the excellence of its comprehensive program, renowned faculty, and superb
facilities, as well as for its location in one of the nation¹s leading
undergraduate liberal arts colleges.

Oberlin Conservatory has a collection of 194 Steinways (174 grands), most
of which are kept under strict environmental control. The Conservatory also
has a fine collection of historical keyboard instruments.  Oberlin
possesses the second largest collection of Steinway pianos in the world,
and the Conservatory is Steinway¹s oldest ongoing customer. Our pianos
experience minimal pitch fluctuation and wood damage. They are part of a
relatively young collection (161 built between 1930 and 1970) and are very
rebuildable. Our shop operation rebuilds 15 to 20 pianos per year.

Responsibilities:  The incumbent will be responsible for, but not limited
to, the following duties:
… Work collaboratively with the Director and in all phases of tuning,
voicing, regulation, repairing, and rebuilding of conservatory pianos.
… Assist with Inventory and record-keeping.
… Assist with the training and supervision of employees in the Department
of Piano Technology.
… Work to establish effective communication with faculty members about
piano condition and maintenance.
… Work irregular hours to ensure pianos are ready for concert use.

Requirements:  At least 10 years experience as a piano technician,
including experience in rebuilding Steinway concert pianos; demonstrated
ability to manage programs, projects, and people; strong, well-developed,
interpersonal skills, including working with artists and subordinates;
concert tuning experience at the highest level; and excellent references.
Must be a Registered Tuner/Technician with the Piano Technicians Guild,
Inc.  Desired Qualifications:  Experience at an organization similar to the
Oberlin Conservatory.  Strong preference will be given to a candidate who
meets the above requirements and has extensive experience with Steinway
pianos.  A college degree (especially in a music area) and experience
working with historical keyboard instruments are desirable.

Compensation:  Within the salary range established by the College, this
position will be filled at a salary commensurate with experience.  The
benefits package includes health and life insurance, tuition remission for
eligible children, a generous retirement plan, etc.

To Apply: Submit letter of application, résumé, and three references with
telephone numbers to: Michael Lynn, Associate Dean, Oberlin College
Conservatory of Music, Oberlin, OH  44074, by August 14, 2000.  Late
applications may be accepted until the position is filled.

July 21, 2000