Cruise pianos (non-$cientology)

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 05 Aug 2000 08:05:56 -0700

Kristinn Leifsson wrote:

> Hi y´all
>
> I´m back from a week of eating and drinking in Mallorca.
> I saw the pictures from Arlington and may I say that I liked them,
> especially Ron´s style.  You mightn´t be related to a skydiver called Mad

<snip>

> In an issue of the Steinway "Lyra" I saw some brackets that are used to
> fasten grands down on cruise liners.  Three rods extend from the floor
> below the middle of the grand up towards each leg.  It was used on a ship
> that took some really rough weather, and the grand was one of the few
> things that weren´t damaged.
> Do pianos in cruise liners normally have that kind of fastenings?
> Maybe Rob Goodale (who actually looks a bit like a cross between Frank
> Zappa  and "Weird" Al Yankovic (not that crossing two males is easy with
> traditional methods)) can shed some light on this.  :)

Hmmm, you got me thinking here.  I've been called a lot of things but never
Frank Zappa, possibly the strangest human who ever occupied the planet.  I
have been joked around a bit regarding Weird Al but that's only because I play
the accordion.  I don't, however,  make it a habit to play "Another One Rides
the Bus" and "Like a Surgeon".  I'll decline comment on the crossing two males
part.

I went on a week long cruise for my honeymoon and saw I think at least five
grands on the ship.  They were, of course, anchored down pretty good.  From
what I could see there were metal sleeves I think about ten inches high in
which the legs fit into.  No doubt about it these pianos were not going
anywhere.  I would imagine that getting them in place would require seven or
eight people on all sides lifting the piano and then setting it down into the
sleeves.  As I recall someone on this list tunes some cruise ship pianos.
Perhaps they could share whatever theme and variation exists on this.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV