refinishing problem

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 16:56:22 EDT

Jim Krentzel writes:
> The entire piano has refinished just fine with the
>  exception of the large lid.  After the second series of sealer coats, the
>  finish develops small bubbles.  The bubbles feel like bumps about the size
>  of a pin head, but after wet-sanding, they are small craters, so I know
they
>  were actually bubbles in the finish.

Jim,
Although water can be a problem, my wife and I think it's more likely actual
air bubbles, caused by the gun being too close to the work. We call it a
"fried" finish. The liquid hits the work with too high a velocity. You might
have enough sealer on to sand down through the bubbles. Back off a couple of
inches, or turn the pressure down 5-10 pounds or both.

The lid is what most people use the most Pledge on, so it's no surprise to
find it contaminated. It's probably irrelevant to the pinholes, though,
although if you use Fisheye Flowout once, you need to use it in all
subsequent coats, and allow just a little extra dry time.

Bob and Marcia Davis