muffler bar problem

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 07 Aug 2000 17:24:00 -0500

on 8/7/00 4:17 PM, Clyde Hollinger at cedel@supernet.com wrote:

> Friends,
>
> The last piano I tuned today was a 1998 Samick vertical, model JS-112.
> If I adjusted the muffler bar so the hammers would just hit the felt
> when it was engaged, the hammers would catch on the felt when the bar
> was disengaged.  Is there any way to make this thing work properly?
>
> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger

These muffler rails are not precision-engineered, but they can be made to
work. Check to see that the lower edges of the muffler felt form a straight
line and trim with scissors if necessary to form one. Take care, though --
the rails are lightly constructed enough that simply removing and replacing
them for regular piano service can bend them out of adjustment. Check to see
that the entire bottom edge of the felt moves past the hammer line
uniformly, that is, the treble end and the bass end get to the hammer line
at the same time. This can be adjusted by bending the right hand mounting
arm up or down in relation to the long rail; you will need some leverage to
accomplish this and this involves some twisting of metal, but the metal is
soft enough to allow this and the result can make it worthwhile.

Kent Swafford