color of understring felt

PNOTNR@AOL.COM PNOTNR@AOL.COM
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:14:45 EDT

List,

Just brought a Weber Grand into the shop for some work.  This instrument was
recently mauled by another technician, and I'm going to be trying to undo a
lot of sloppy work.

Among other things, the customer was particularly upset that the last
guy,"used red felt on the piano, when it originally had lovely green felt".

Looking in the catalogs, most of what I see for use on the plate is red.
Anyone know where there is a choice of green?  (The closest thing I see is
green backcheck cloth.)

This leads me to another question.  Does anyone have experience dying cloth
and felt so that everything is the same shade?  Is it possible for one to buy
white cloth and dye it whatever color they want?  And if so, is there
anything in available dye (like RIT dye) that could damage the music wire.

Dyeing to hear any and all comments.

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine