EDT

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 09:11:47 -0600

Hi,

Buy what you believe will give you the most service. Size, weight, battery
life and price are side issues imho.

Size: some small laptops (almost palm tops) are smaller than the accu tuner

Weight: see above.

Battery life: the best right now for laptops is 6 hours. If you can't
finish in six hours simply pop in another charged battery (on the theory
that we all have atleast one spare tuning mute, surely we should have back
ups for all important tools)

Price: It is possible to get a computer that will run Reyburn Cyber Tuner
for $300.00. (U.S. funds).

For me the convience of having my records with me is a big deal. Being able
to book the next tuning and set up a reminder for the client while in their
home means less time in the office at home. It also means that the client
is *seeing* the extra effort that used to go on in the background--I
believe they appreciate these little items very much.

In addition how ever good the accutuner is, it is a hardwired device. If on
the other hand, RCT developes an improvement, a simple download and
installation of the program gives you all the new features.

I also believe that because you can program RCT to a temperment sequence,
that it facilitates learning to tune aurally better than the Accu Tuner.
This is one area where the upgradeablity of RCT shines. It would be
possible for Dean to add the suggested aural checks for such a sequence.
For now you can run the temperment sequence written out as a text file in a
separate window, and either have it "on display" or toggle back and forth
between RCT and the written out sequence. Toggling between the 2 items
removes the temptation to *cheat* and use RCT instead of your ears, but
allows you to check your work each step along the path.

The accutuner will serve you well, and Reyburn Cyber Tuner will serve you
better. Atleast from my point of view.

If some one comes along with something better than RCT, I will be among the
first 100 clients to purchase it. But don't make me give up my laptop in
the client's home. It is just too convient.

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/

3004 Grant Rd.