Tilter comparisons

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 08:05:18 -0400

At 05:40 AM 08/20/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Keith,
>
>Are you saying you have the APSCO model?  I have a Jeep Cherokee, and it
>would easily accomodate the Schaff tilter with the back seat folded down;
>however, I'm really looking for someone to say that the APSCO model is
>strong enough to do every job, since it folds up smaller and I could
>leave it in the cargo compartment all the time rather than having to
>rearrange the seating every time I needed the tilter.
>
>Also, where does the "excess space" occur.  I'm afraid I'm having a hard
>time visualizing this.
>
>Todd

Todd,
The APSCO model is strong enough to do every job, since it folds up smaller
and you could
leave it in the cargo compartment all the time rather than having to
rearrange the seating
every time you needed the tilter. But I also use it in the shop for tilting
the occasional vertical
but mostly for a carriage for the plate which is being refinished. I lift
the plate out of the piano with
a winch and lower it onto the tilter. A handy aspect of it is that I can
set the plate against the wall,
plate tilter. I also can stand the plate up vertically and place the tilter
on the other side and lower the
plate back down bottom-side up for fitting a new block (pad required to
protect the surface).

Mine was purchased from Tuner's Supply (identical to the APSCO model) in
the mid 70's and
hasn't left me down yet. So you see, it not only is structurally sound but
compact and versatile.

The only modification I made was to removed the shin knocker, that handle
makes better scrap metal.

Get it, you won't regret it,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.