QUERY: gilding a plate

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 22:55:05 -0400

At 10:10 PM 08/20/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I would be interested in a sampling of techniques for refinishing or
>gilding a plate.
>
>What sort of preparation work is done?

  Clean, clean, clean. Spot fill, sand. Spot fill, sand

>What type of finish is applied?

Lacquer

>What materials?

Lacquer w/ bronzing powder. S&S color is the colour du jour

>What are good sources for materials?  Etc.

Mohawk for lacquer,  Steinway for the powder unless your want to experiment
with the
'art store' variety of 'lining powder'.   Actually, I added some pale gold
lining powder
to the "S&S" bronzing powder because it was a little too dark.  And be sure
to talk to
some one at Mohawk for a clear which will not turn the bronzing powder
'green' in storage.
They discontinued the real good stuff (CAB) of course.

>Thanks to all,
>
>John Gunderson, Belmar, NJ

Suzanne send her salutations.

Best,