Humidity Change and Unisons

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 00:33:57 -0600

Hi  Ron,

So it *is* the red felt in the casters after all? LOL

Seriously I would love to see the sort of research you suggest. But lets
agree that the plate moves with humidity change. And further that most
pitch correction is plate related more than sound board related.

One *hint* again is that damppchaser bars under the soundboard do *less*
than bars at the belly and tail. To me that indicates that drift is plate
related more than soundboard related.

The smearing of the unisons is also very real and can be measured. Simple
sound board movement I don't believe could be responsible for this type of
drift.

Then too, apparently (I have not noted this but will accept that others
have measured it carefully) pianos with aliquotes or *double scaling*
appear to be more stable. If this is true then the hitch pin / string angel
is where atleast some of the unison smear is happening.

These are just hints nothing more.

At 10:31 PM 08/20/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hi Ron,
>>
>>I agree there is a great deal going on--but when one observes 20 pianos or
>>a 100 all doing the same sort of humidity dance, it certainly points out
>>the need of humidity control.
>>Regards,
>>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.
>

>Whoa Don! Where'd that come from? What the heck happened to why does this
>do what this does? Humidity control is the default answer to nearly any
>tuning stability issue there is. If that was what this was all about, it
>could have been boiled down to that on the first post and saved a heck of a
>lot of wildly speculative correspondence the last week.
Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/

3004 Grant Rd.