Plate refinishing, again...Terry

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:05:36 -0400

Hi Terry,

You ask,

-> I'm curious, where does the term "Gilding" originate, and what does it
mean?

I'm not sure exactly where the term originated.  It's something you would
normally see associated with someone who does gold leaf on things.  Guilding
is what you would call it if you would, for instance, put gold leaf on a
picture frame, or a statue, or ... a piano plate.  I don't know for sure if
I've seen a piano plate that had gold leaf on it, but I've suspected it a
time or two.

I would imagine that over the years, the term 'guilding' could have taken on
a few additional meanings that might include something more akin to
painting, or finishing.

Sorry, I didn't have time to consult Mr. Webster or any other source.  No
doubt someone will fill us all in good!   :-)   I gotta get to work or I'll
be late!!

See ya,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net

...as he trips on a piano while moving in rapid fashion for the door...