Humidity Change and Unisons

Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:55:20 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

Grin... been watching this one with great fun and interest... Have done my best
to keep out of it but thought I'd just pipe in a bit anyways.. Gotta go with Ron
on this one... as usual his arguments bear out best with what is
reasonable...(not to say you were right about that front termination profile
argument mind you... hehe)

Anyways... the point is that it would be easy enough to construct a simulator to
show quite clearly the forces at work. In such a simulator one could adjust
different variables, such as the sound board and the plate, to see how any
movement in these would affect string pitch. The one that showed itself to be
most in line with what we observe is most likely to be the best model.

Personally, I cant see the plate moveing much to begin with in relation to
humidity changes. Sheesh.. imagin what would happen to the Bay Bridge if
humidity could effect iron and iron derivative like that..grin.. And the fact is
that we know for sure that the sound board does change shape in relation ship to
humidity changes. All in all its the most likely by far explanation.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.