Pounding tuning pins.

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:59:00 EDT

Hi Jim

Tuning instability in this case means the customer doesn't believe the piano
is holding tune like it should.  That being said, it leaves alot of run for
guess work in what the customer expects, has been told, and general mis/info
she knows about her piano.  At the request of rebuilder, I was called the
first time about 7 months ago to appraise the situation and tune it.  The
piano at that time had been tuned four or five times after the rebuild job.
I had to do a pitch raise on it and told the customer the speil about new
strings stretching...
The other day when I went back, the piano was about 1 cent sharp at A4, and
the customer said it held tune better this time.  I was just wondering if I
could get a little more improvement in stability if the coils were closer to
the plate.

Some of the coils aren't tight and I haven't addressed them yet because I was
waiting to see if  I'm going to pound the pins or not.

Roger - thanks for the  early AM  reply.

Thanks Jim.

Doug Mahard