Reactionary curmudgeon vs: "snuggles"

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:55:48 -0600

At 01:06 AM 8/29/2000 -0400, Bill wrote:

>Why "snuggles" ? - why not beer, or axel grease thinned with power steering
>fluid to soften hammers, and lemonade or melted low fat ice cream to harden

Because "Snuggles" has been tested, not only by itself but against other
brands of fabric softener. Personally I don't use it except in an emergency
and then only sparingly. I prefer either steam or Susan's alcohol and water
treatment, though Evercleer isn't available in Canada and I make do with vodka.

>Do ANY of you do any TESTING on your own pianos, or experiment for perhaps a
>day or two before you apply cockamamie concoctions to the expensive pianos of

I first heard of the "Snuggles" technique at the Steinway factory in NYC
where at least some of the Hall tuners carry it with them. Is that not a
high enough recommendation?

>Seems to me that the sterling professionals that advocate new treatments, on
>any part of a piano, should have the burden of proof that they cause no harm
>and are better than the old ways. If they are proven out and become part of
>decent established practice, the fellow should be given credit and renown!

See above. While I tend to doubt Franz Mohr would use the technique his
successors at S&S do use it.

>AND, - to be ethical "professionals" - if you do find a product to pour on
>hammers and in 2 minutes they are all better forever, then the result to the
>customer should cost the customer LESS, - unless it is part of a con job.

See Roger's reply. While it doesn't take "2 minutes" it does cost much less
and brings better results on some pianos. That savings as well as the
improvement in the instrument IS passed on.

>Where the hell are the " Standards of Practice" found in real professions?

You mean like lawyers or creative accountants? B-})

>What is the PTG for if not to establish such standards and educate towards
>them?

We've been discussing methods of hammer hardening and softening here for
years. There are many different techniques you can use that vary with the
results you're trying to achieve. Is it not better to have an arsenal to
work with rather than just one weapon?

>Bronx cheer,

Right back at you, Bill... <g>

                         John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom