Reactionary curmudgeon vs: "snuggles"

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 02:36:37 EDT

baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

<<(I am) an Electrical Engineer,  30yrs ago. (R & D in Gas
Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry) ...I am
guilty for teaching steam voicing techniques at conventions.  The answer is
yes, a lot of testing was carried out before sharing information with
others.  First on PSO's , then graduated to quality pianos.>>

Mr. Jolly:

Great! AND, there is a logic that a little steam is unlikely to be a
permanent liability to hammers, or leave residues, or "harden up" later. Your
obvious scientific background included hypotheses, experiments, analysis of
results, conclusions.  You are liable to be mostly right even when you "wing
it" because you are logically based. I do not think the average piano
technician has your abilities, and I think they, the piano profession, and
the world of music in general would benefit from a site where your particular
practice is laid out, examined, and found worthy.

<<And I have replaced a couple of sets of hammers at my own expense for my
screw ups.>>

Do you think everyone else does this with new procedures that go awry? I know
they do not because I have seen their work months and years later. They slink
off leaving the piano a wreck.  I am only advocating for a site where people
can learn to do things right before making mistakes.  (that they will never
repair)

<<This an area in our organization that could be improved, but slowly
standards are being raised.>>

Do you think that just one standard, say, - that "pianos should be tuned to
A=440cps" could ever be adopted by PTG as an organization? I seriously doubt
it. If it could be done, however, they might build upon it until there was a
quite reasonable standard of practice, and of what is unethical practice, and
of what is deleterious practice. Wouldn't that be great!

Thanks for your response,

Bill Simon
Phoenix