Fischer Upright

Stephen Powell pianotec@ihug.co.nz
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:20:33 +1300

Hi Rob.  Yes this does look to be a well made instrument and seems to =
have quite a lot of potential.  Unlike Steinway, there is almost no =
clearance between the pins and block.  As the owners seem committed to =
having the piano well restored, I will probably replace the block.  I'm =
not that keen on 3/0 pins anyway and would never go to 4/0.

Despite the bellows and motor cloth having numerous holes, the player =
action still plays!  The action also has more features than most, such =
as themodist expression.  So you could be correct about it being a bit =
of a gem.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
    Stephen

Rob Goodale wrote:
    Fischers were generally considered higher quality pianos in their =
day so you might have a little gem of sorts here.  It sounds like the =
designers were following after the Steinway concept by having no =
bushings.  In such cases this typically means the stresses are focused =
elsewhere rather than the typical arrangement.  If it were me I would =
avoid reaming the holes if at all possible.  If so do it as little as =
you can.  If you do I would strongly suggest removing the plate since =
even the slightest error in any drill stop would go into the block.  If =
you feel ambitious enough and the piano is a nice enough looking =
specimen you might want to consider going all out and replacing the =
block.  This would allow you to use the original size pines as =
originally conceived.=20

    As far as Otto Higel player actions go, they were decent in their =
day but a Standard could still run circles around them.  Of course =
Standard along with their chief competitor, Simplex, could out do just =
about anyone with the possible exception of Gulbranson and Shultz.=20

    I rebuilt a later Otto Higel action about ten years ago.  This was =
the more common type with the huge valve chest with the pouches being =
little unit pillow block thingys.  If the Metanola action that you have =
is in good shape then indeed you have something special.  The die cast =
material in those days rarely lasted unless the material just happened =
to be a really good batch.  If it has lasted this long I imagine it will =
last forever.=20

    I guess the word of the day is to just "go slow".=20

    Good luck.=20

    Rob Goodale, RPT=20
    Las Vegas, NV=20